CARES 25– July 17-21, 2017
Applications Due June 5, 2017
CLICK HERE for Application
Please contact Karen Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the next CARES/ROSC Workshop.
Georgia Certified Addiction Recovery Empowerment Specialist (CARES)
The mission of Georgia CARES’s is to promote long-term recovery from substance use disorders by providing experienced peer support and advocating for self-directed care.
CARES Vision Statement
We envision a recovery-oriented system of care that supports self-directed pathways to recovery by building on the strengths and resilience of individuals, families and communities.
Hope – Wellness – Diversity – Recovery – Integrity – Commitment
The cornerstone of a recovery-oriented system of care is (ROSC) is a vibrant, well-trained peer workforce. Funded and supported by the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD), the CARES Program is implemented by GCSA and consists of 4 phases:
- Application – candidate must have 2 yrs. continuous abstinent recovery; H.S. Diploma or GED; completed, timely application; 2 references; a written essay
- Selection – based on demonstrated recovery leadership in the community; dependability; ability to use recovery story to help others; supportive of the many pathways to recovery
- CARES Academy – includes reading the text, “What’s Right With You” by Barry Duncan,; preparatory exercises; 40-hours experiential classroom work; certification exam
- On-going Support – monthly webinars; bi-annual ‘CARES Connect’ conferences; continuing education requirements; regular check-ins by peers; on-site technical assistance by CARES faculty; opportunities to education, advocate and spread the hope of recovery
Upon completion of the CARES Academy, peers are able to:
- Advocate for recovery for themselves, the peers with whom they work and for a ROSC.
- Run recovery groups using “Partners for Change Outcome Management System”, an evidence-based practice found on the SAMHSA’s “National Registry of Evidence Based Practices and Programs (NREPP)”.
- Conduct individual recovery check-ins by supporting peers in self-directed care and assessing a peer’s ‘recovery capital’ using Motivational Interviewing (also on NREPP) skills to enhance the relationship.
Please note, each applicant is responsible for their own hotel accommodations.
All Applications must be typed and submitted electronically
(Click the Submit Button at the end of the application)
For inquiries please contact the CARES SELECTION COMMITTEE
Georgia Council on Substance Abuse
100 Edgewood Ave., Suite 1009
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404 523-3440
2017 CARES Academy Dates
January 23-27, 2017 – CARES Academy 23
Applications due November 30, 2016
April 17-21, 2017 – CARES Academy 24
Applications Due March 6, 2017
July 17-21, 2017 – CARES Academy 25
Applications Due June 5, 2017
October 16-20, 2017 – CARES Academy 26
Applications Due September 5, 2017